Why do we frequently fail at sticking to our New Year Resolutions? Do we lack willpower or what?! I literally Googled, “how to keep my new year resolution”, and here is what I found.
- Apparently willpower is not the issue if you’re trying to lose weight or stop smoking. Our resolution is like a muscle. The more we use it the stronger it gets. If you exercise self-control extra diligently, your resolution muscle gets huge and the more successful you will be.
- We do have limits so it’s best to focus on just one resolution vs. say 10!
- Keep it simple and small because the small successes will fuel our resolve.
- Lifting your spirits like watching funny movies puts you in a good mood so if you feel your willpower weakening find something that makes you laugh.
- Did you know that your brain relies almost exclusively on glucose (sugar) for energy. Every now and then you need the real thing, like a glass of sweet lemonade instead an artificially sweetened drink.
- Give your willpower some wiggle room by not doing the “absolutes”, like I am never using my credit card again. You know what they say about never…
“Never say never.” Anything is possible at any time.
- Feeling discouraged is normal so remind yourself of how far you’ve come and list what you have accomplished. You will feel better.
- Use visuals to remind yourself why you made the resolution in the first place.
- Stress will wear you down so now when you’re close to “empty” and get away from whatever is tempting you (chocolate pudding for me) until you’ve rested or eaten.