Sunless Tanning Preparation and Maintenance
Preparation & Maintenance for your sunless spray tan session – What you should do to guarantee natural looking “just off the beach” color.
Enhance the effectiveness of your sunless tanning session by conditioning your skin and then taking steps to help maintain your sunless tan.
- Exfoliate Before Each Session to Remove Dry, Flaky Skin. Remove dead, dry skin cells that will prevent the absorption of DHA bronzers into fresh healthy skin cells. This allows for the sunless spray to absorb deeply into the skin and oxidize to a brilliant cocoa bronze color. Spraying sunless products on dry flaky skin causes the tan to look less natural, uneven when fading and will shorten the life of your sunless tan. We suggest using our Moisturizing Body Scrub on the morning of your session for a light exfoliation, moisturizing and skin pH balancing treatment – this gives your skin the fuel needed for beautiful, long lasting color. Note: Avoid using bar soaps, high pH shower products or in-shower moisturizers. These products can halt the DHA bronzing reaction or cause the “orange effect”.
- Stop! Do Not Apply Lotion. Do not apply lotions, moisturizers or perfumes prior to your session. Use deodorant sparingly. It is best not to apply makeup but if you do then remove before your session.
- Wear Dark, Loose Fitting Clothing and Remove Jewelry. Tight clothes can rub off or smear the bronzers.
- Pre-Spray: Our pH Balance Spray with DHA enhancers can be applied by the customer before your session. This product provides your skin with light hydration, pH balancers as well as a new DHA enhancer technology to insure a darker, more natural looking color. It also helps to eliminate the “orange effect” in both dark- and fair-skinned individuals.
- Protection: Use Lip Balm and our blending cream (provided by Totally Tan & Spa ) to prevent solution from coloring your lips, palms, nails, cuticles, feet, and knees and elbows if dry.
- Avoid Sweating! Immediately after your spray tanning session. Avoid activities that may cause you to sweat excessively to avoid streaking the cosmetic bronzer. Use the air conditioning in your car on a hot day. Remember, you have just been tinted with a water-soluble solution.
- Avoid Water! You must avoid water entirely for at least 4 hours or you will stop the tanning action of the DHA and/or cause streaking.
- Avoid Swimming & Spas! Avoid chemically treated swimming pools and spas for at least 24 hours after your spray session to prevent color from fading.
- Cleansing – Wait to Shower! For maximum results, wait at least 12 hours before showering or bathing. After that time, we recommend our Hydrating Shower Gel, or Body Wash as your shower product. Avoid using bar soaps or high pH products – they will strip and fade your tan rapidly. Our body cleansers are designed to hydrate, moisturize and nourish while maintaining the proper pH levels for your skin. Proper cleansing insures even fading and the longest lasting, most natural looking sunless results. After bathing, gently “pat dry” skin. If you must bathe prior to the 12 hour process period use plain water only. The instant cosmetic bronzer will wash off – as it is designed to do.
- Tan Extend/Moisturize/Refresh: The day after your sunless spray session and after your first shower, use Prolong Tan Extending Moisturizing Lotion. This lotion helps keep your tan healthy and skin moisturized while adding refreshing glow each day to your color. It also helps your color fade gradually and evenly. For an extravagant daily moisturizing ritual, try our Body Butter – a rich creme developed to eliminate severely dry skin due to environmental exposure, UV and sunless tanning. We also recommend our other great daily moisturizers. Refresh and add a glimmer to your tan – anytime – with our Bio Mist Rehydrating Spray. Bio Mist’s nourishing shower of hydration helps keep skin plump and color even.
- Between Sessions: For additional color, we suggest the use of 4 Faces Touch-Up Spray between your next sunless tan session to preserve and maintain your beautiful deep, dark color.
Remember, Healthy Skin Tans Best!